Friday, January 3, 2014

An Exercise Alternative

How are your walks coming? Have you gone beyond the 15 minutes? 

I've been faithful to walk at least 15 minutes a day. We take the dogs and goat....yes we have a goat, down the hill and back up.  It takes about 20 minutes. But I'm finding that isn't enough for me. My plans to walk to the Farmers Market have been nixed by the weather these past few weekends. So, what to do?

This morning it's 25*.  I will bundle up and hit the streets, brrrr, but not for long.  I could go to the gym....but I don't have a gym membership. Really, nothing beats a good walk and I want to go longer. If you have a treadmill, you are golden.  

BUT.....If you don't, I have an alternative. A standing desk. It's the latest trend.


I have one. It's a crude wooden thing my husband had built for something else. It's the perfect height for my computer and I plan to start using it again.

We, as mammals, were designed to stand, run, walk, chase bison, squat, but not sit in a chair ALL DAY. At the office we sit at a desk, at home we sit at the table, in front of the TV. We don't move. That is what the walking is for, but the benefits of a standing desk are amazing.

We burn more calories while standing. Studies show up to 20% more. We are less likely to get blood clots, our metabolism increases. Our cardiovascular system improves. Our work productivity increases. I  know. There are articles out there by 'experts' that dis the idea, claiming varicose veins, bad posture....standing 10 hours a day. Well, I don't stand 10 hours a day. I do sit down...maybe too much. It has been proven to help your body.

An article in the New York Times spells it out for you.

I know many folks that are getting those Tread Mill desks. But, in a pinch: There are all sorts of options for work and home. Seriously! You can find them cheap at many Office Supply stores. Amazon and IKEA. Or build your own. Here are some I found.



This does not mean you can give up your daily walk. As the weather gets better, I plan on hiking more and will eventually increase my daily walks to 30 minutes.

But the Standing Desk is an added health booster. I hope you try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment