Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

Here we are. A new day, a new Year is finally upon us. How did we do? Are we ready?

I am. Here is my breakfast this morning.

We had baked bacon, cage free eggs...see how pretty and yellow? The eggs were scrambled with chard and scallion from my garden and I tossed in a mushroom. There is a sprinkling of feta cheese over the top. It was well received!!


And this afternoon, it's Roast Beast. I am also dehydrating pineapple slices for snacks. 

After breakfast, Hubby and I took a long walk with the dogs...our new tradition...a hike on New Year's Day.

But, lo and behold, when making breakfast, I found a 'no no' in the kitchen; a bag of chips. They were tossed. This brought me back to day one of last year's 16 day countdown. The first assignment was to junk the junk from the pantry. Did you do it?

There is no real reason to have pre-packaged, chemically laden food like products in your kitchen. Take a look at this label. Tell me it is really food. It's quick and easy, and 99 cents...but does it have any nutritional value? Look at the sodium content. Gag!


Even things you think are safe, like packaged tuna poaches, for example, have vegetable broth (soy, which means GMOs) salt and water added. Why can't it be just tuna?

We have been fed the notion that whole milk is bad for you.  We are told all fat is bad...heart desease and all that mumbo jumbo. Personally, I think God didn't give us cows, goats or other milk producing mammals for us just to create chemical, processed milk-like products. Adults usually don't have the ability to digest milk, anyway. I believe eating that chemical garbage above is what gives us heart disease, etc. 


Let me explain skim milk. Milk is taken from Bessy. It is then spun in a centrifuge to separate out the fat, which is removed to make other products, or fed back to Bessy. Then the watery liquid that is left over has to have some nutritional value, so synthetic vitamins are added back in, as well as dried milk. Dried milk comes from heating the milk so high that it dries to a powder. Thus all nutritional value is cooked out of it.  Oh, and somewhere in this process the milk has been pasteurized, again cooking out nutrients. So we are back to adding in the synthetic nutrients.   Really? Is this supposed to be a health food?

I don't drink milk. But I do use Organic Heavy Cream (whipping cream) in my coffee. Or I drink Almond Milk. But, there again....with popularity comes big business. Not all Almond milks are good...more chemical crap. Read the labels.

So, if you have not already done so, go into your kitchen with a big box or bag, read all the labels on all the cans and boxes in your pantry. If the label is a chemistry experiment, toss it. Throw out that 1%, 2% or skim milk. Throw out that American  processed cheese-like product wrapped in those handy plastic wrappers. Toss it. The hot dogs, processed deli-meats...toss them.

Go buy real tuna...in water. Go buy organic whole milk. Go buy real veggies, not ones in cans. Go buy real, grass fed meat, or at least meat from a butcher.

Go! Now!
Well, go tomorrow....enjoy the holiday today.

I plan on being healthy this year. I hope you come along with me on this journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment