Saturday, December 28, 2013

4.....Shopping List Guide

Ok, we are 4 days away from a new start. Today I want to help you stock your pantry for the coming year. By now you should have junked the junk. If you haven't, you will need to make room for the new, healthy stuff. 

Here goes.

Every good kitchen, whether you are Paleo, Primal, low carb...or just clean, needs to replace the old Standard American Diet junk with the following:

Here is what I have in my kitchen. 
Coconut flour. This replaced that nasty white flour we used to use.
Almond flour. Ditto...we will use this to make some tasty treats. 
Store these both in an air tight container, or in the freezer.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Balsamic vinegar
Chicken Stock...buy organic or make your own.
Spices:  sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, basil, oregano, thyme, cumin, chili powder, 
Stevia
Coconut oil *****very important
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Butter....NOT MARGARINE!!!!!!!!! Get the real stuff
Nuts...get your favorite. Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes...but low carb.

Ok. That's a good start. I know this may look expensive, but it's a once a month, or less, investment in your health. I guarantee, if you stop eating out, this list will save you money.

Get meat you enjoy. Try, if you can, to get grass fed...if not, that's ok. If you are on a budget, try these ideas. 
Bacon and eggs...for the first day, and many days after
A pot roast...this will last days
Get salmon for one meal
Chicken for one or two meals
Ground beef is easy

Buy your veggies.
Go simple. Get your red potatoes.,(those little ones) and carrots for the first day. Salad greens, carrots, cucumbers. What ever you like in your salads. Buy organic, if you can. Hit your farmers' market this weekend. If you can't get organic, don't panic. But buy fresh. Get what you love, and preferably what's in season. 

If you are lactose intolerant, drink almond milk. Be sure to check the labels. Almond milk is becoming popular, and there are some sketchy brands out there.  

If you can handle milk, buy the cheese of your choice. I like Swiss and natural cheddar. BUY REAL CHEESE, not cheese like products. Don't forget the feta for your breakfast. Whole Milk!!!!  I can't stress that enough. Low fat milk isn't really milk. If you can buy raw milk, or goats milk...all the better.

You know yourself and you know your family. If you are jumping from pizza to Paleo, this may be a culture shock.  (There are paleo pizza recipes, don't worry)   I want this to be easy for you, but try it. 


Now, go shopping. 




No comments:

Post a Comment