Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie...Still Counting Down, but It's Christmas Eve

Today, I want you to start a new recipe collection.  Honestly, the best way to take care of your health is to cook.  It really is easy, and so much cheaper in the long run. For what you spend at Micky D's, you can create a masterpiece in your own kitchen and have enough leftovers for another day. And you know what is in it. 

Your recipe collection should consist of Clean foods. There is a world of good food ideas on the interweb to chose from.  To start you out, though, I'm giving you one of mine. 

Considering the holiday, I thought I'd share my Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream. 



I made this Thanksgiving and it was well received. 

It is so easy, even I could make it. I have never been a good pie maker...the crust threw me. But this crust is gluten free....no dough to roll out and shrink.

So here it is.

Crust:

In your food processor add

2 1/2 cups walnuts. 
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbl melted butter
1 Tbl honey

Gring that all together into a fine almost buttery texture. In a 9in pie pan, gently smooth out your dough evenly, up the sides, flute the edges if you want...make it even and pretty. 

Filling:

Again in your food processor add

1 can organic pumpkin purée or 2 cups fresh pumpkin. (I used fresh for the first time)
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (use the real stuff)
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom 
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs

Blend that all together in the processor. 

Pour the filling into the crust. If you have filling left over, save for the pumpkin pancakes we are going to make later. Bake at 350* for 50 minutes.  It should jiggle very slightly when done. Let it cool.

Whipped Cream:

OH so much better than that store bought stuff....

Again, in the food processor add

1 Cup heavy whipping 
1 Tbl maple syrup (use the real stuff)

Turn the processor on high and let it do it's magic. In 4-5 minutes the cream will thicken and you have the best whipped cream ever. 

I am not Julia Child's, but friends...I wanna be. Enjoy your kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment