I read a friends blog recently and she eloquently spoke of the Christmas traditions of her past and present...how things have changed, evolved. What traditions do her Children remember? Are they the same as the ones she cherishes?
What are traditions?
Every year we had a tree. As the kids got older, they would decorate. It became a tradition. We had sausage and biscuits every Christmas morning. It became a tradition. While I cooked, each one got into their stocking for just one present. Tradition. Then we sat around the tree with breakfast and coffee and opened presents. The youngest started opening just one. Then the next in line, on up to Dad. Then we would go around again. All oooooos and aaaaas from everyone.. Tradition. Then I would head in and start the cooking the turkey. Tradition.
I now find my kids had made their own traditions back then. Watching the Grinch every year. Sneaking around the house at night....they drew maps and made it a game....now they are all grown and making new traditions of their own. But It thrills me that it is so important to them to keep some of the old ones.
This year, well, I am alone. At least right at this moment. No pity needed...the day is young. My hubby and I just recently got married. We are making traditions of our own. I now have an extended family that we spent Christmas Eve with. My hubby had to work today which is fine. (Someone has to power all those Christmas lights...) And my kids? The ones still near by? They want to have sausage and biscuits and open presents, just like we used to....this time at one of their homes. And I know they watched the Grinch last night. So I will be going over there, the. Later we are having Mexican food for dinner.
Today's assignment?
Start a new tradition to add to your family ones.
Cook a New healthy recipe for dinner. Go for a walk after. Be thoughtful of the gifts you buy. Are they meaningful? Or will it be something someone has to store away, adding to unwanted stuff. Is there a vegetable on your dinner plate? Is time spent remembering why we celebrate this day? Nap! You need it. Tell yourself I Love You...and tell your family and friends that you love them!
The new year is coming....soon. I'm up for starting fresh. Join me in creating new, healthy traditions.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment